This is a job posting for one of Bloom Burton’s incubated companies, Grey Wolf Animal Health.
About Grey Wolf Animal Health
Grey Wolf Animal Health is a specialty animal health company focused on improving the lives and wellbeing of vets and pets across Canada. Founded in 2015 by Dr. Ian Sandler, our mission is to identify and bring to market products, solutions and services that meet the underserved needs of vets, pets and clinics. We are looking to lead the way in providing exceptional customer service and great products including a broad portfolio of pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals and consumables.
We are a dynamic and fast-growing company and are seeking a Controller to support the executive management team and add bench strength as the organization continues to grow. This individual will have overall responsibility for the company’s monthly accounting process, supporting monthly financial reporting, budgeting, and forecasting functions.
CONTROLLER – JOB DESCRIPTION
Financial Policies, Procedures, Controls, and Reporting Systems
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement, and implementing new processes.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits and providing information to external auditors.
Month End – Accounting
- Planning, directing, and coordinating all internal and external accounting functions.
- Reviews monthly bank reconciliation for all accounts and provides to management for review and approval.
- Completes monthly reconciliation of foreign exchange balances (bank, A/P, A/R. other) and enters monthly gain / loss in foreign exchange.
- Reviews and approves monthly prepaid expense entries and reconciles with supporting documentation. Maintains a reconciliation of prepaid expense balances and related general ledger account.
- Completes monthly depreciation expense entries. Maintains a reconciliation of capital asset balances and related general ledger account.
- Completes monthly accrual entries, as required (audit, tax, payroll, expenses, etc.).
- Maintains the chart of accounts.
Payroll / Group Benefits
- Planning, directing, and coordinating all payroll and group benefits administration.
- Ensures payroll is updated, submitted, and reconciled on a timely basis.
- Ensures payroll is reviewed and approved by management in advance of processing for payment.
- Establishes appropriate timelines for submission of payroll data and communicates changes to all employees.
- Manages year end T4 processing and reconciliation, including reconciliation of all related payroll tax accounts.
- Supports the management of Zoho People (HRIS) for all employees.
- Administers group benefits program and ensures alignment with payroll changes and updates group benefits provider as required.
- Reviews and submits for approval monthly group benefits invoice.
- Monitors the receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling of all vendor invoices.
- Ensuring the filing of all vendor invoices by vendor name, invoice number and date.
- Review and recording of expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing vendor invoices.
- Ensuring all sales taxes are recorded appropriately and reconciled with vendor invoices, including ensuring vendor documentation supports sales tax ITCs.
- Resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation.
- Ensures credit is received for outstanding credit memos.
- Verify vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions.
- Reconcile processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances.
- Process payments to vendors by monitoring payment terms, discount opportunities, scheduling and preparing payments.
- Enter all payments in banking application and prepare for review and approval.
Employee Expense Reports
- Manages the employee expense report process and supports management of Zoho Expense for all employees, including reviewing the recording of expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing employee expense reports.
- Ensuring employees are reimbursed on approved expense reports in a timely manner.
- Reviews monthly reconciliation of expense reports with corporate credit card accounts, as required.
- Completes financial reporting necessary for the preparation on customer invoices.
- Ensures completeness of all customer invoicing and ensure invoices are provided to customers on a timely basis.
- Completes weekly sales reporting and analysis for management.
- Produces monthly Apotex invoice and submits to management for review and approval.
- Ensuring customer payments are applied correctly to customer accounts through regular review and analysis of A/R aging by account.
- Review and recording of all customer credits for shipping errors, damages, expired product, and sales promotions, as required.
- Verifies validity of account discrepancies by obtaining and investigating information from sales, trade promotions, customer service department, and customers.
- Resolves valid or authorized deductions by entering adjusting entries.
- Resolves collections by examining customer payment plans, payment history, credit line and coordinating contact with management.
- Summarizes receivables by maintaining invoice accounts; coordinating monthly transfer to accounts receivable account; verifying totals; preparing report.
Rebate / Promotions Accounting
- Manages all rebate and marketing programs.
- Complete monthly, quarterly, and annual rebate accruals for all accounts.
- Complete reporting on rebate accruals, payments, and balances outstanding.
- Reconciles all rebate accounts with general ledger accounts.
- Updates rebate account assignment as required with changes in corporate clinics.
- Complete monthly, quarterly, and annual marketing program accruals for all products.
- Reconciles all marketing programs with customer requests for reimbursement / credit.
GST / HST / QST Administration
- Files (monthly, quarterly, annual) sales tax returns by established due dates.
- Reconciles all sales tax returns with general ledger accounts.
- Follow up on all required sales tax payments and receivables, as required by returns files.
- Provides support for CRA audit requests, as required.
Monthly Financial Reporting
- Prepares monthly financial statements by collecting data; analyzing and investigating variances; summarizing data, information, and trends.
- Prepares monthly financial statements versus budget analysis and reports on significant variances.
- Responds to financial inquiries by gathering, analyzing, summarizing, and interpreting data.
- Provides financial advice by studying operational issues; applying financial principles and practices; developing recommendations.
- Planning, directing, and coordinating all accounting functions.
- Prepares special reports by studying variances; preparing budgets; developing forecasts.
Annual Financial Budgeting
- Supports the annual budget process.
- Prepares many reports relevant to the budget for various departments.
- Compiles and analyzes accounting records.
- Responds to inquiries related to budget issues.
- Analyzes department budgets to maintain control of expenditures.
- Directs the preparation of budget reports versus actual reporting.
- Consults with managers to ensure that budget changes are implemented.
- Implements and manages budgetary policies and procedures.
- Generates budget explanations using spreadsheets and graphic illustrations.
- 4-7 years of hands-on finance experience in firm and industry settings
- Deep understanding of accounting principles, budgeting, modeling, and financial reporting
- Track record of developing systems and processes
- Excellent financial and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, a collaborative style, and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work effectively within time constraints
- CPA, CA
- 3-5 years of accounting/audit firm experience
- 3-5 years of industry experience, including in a management role
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you. Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Controller” as the subject line.
Thank you for your interest in Grey Wolf Animal Health Inc.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.